The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Technical Assistant
Job Identification: 831
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Job Schedule: Full time
Job Category: Shelter
Reports to: Shelter Coordinator
Supervision of: Community-Based Workers
Travel: 15% outside Yola
Duration and type of contract: Ending by December 31th, 2021 (with the possibility of extension)
Role and Responsibilities
- The purpose of the assistant position is to assist in the day to day implementation of the CC project.
Generic Responsibilities (max 10):
- These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work- and Professional Development Plan.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to the plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of programme intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly.
- Pre-evaluation of needs (Targeting, Needs Assessment, Beneficiary Identification & Selection) and alert the hierarchy of any population movement in the area.
- Provide technical support and orientation to local technicians and community workers, train and develop their capacity
- Implement shelter construction activities, conduct technical assessment and approval of the quality of work and ensure better management of remaining material
- Conduct community sensitization, awareness and mobilization to encourage beneficiary commitment to the shelter activities.
- With the support of the Shelter Officer and Shelter coordinator, provide the drafts of technical drawings, Bill of Quantity, site plan and technical specification notes for shelter projects.
- Alert the Shelter Officer for any potential need of modification on construction designs or for any unpredictable soil constraints identified.
- Assist the shelter officer to accurately control the movement of trucks, quantities and qualities of materials supplied to the site.
- Establish local committees for the shelter project
- Maintain good working relationships with local authorities, local communities, local committees and partners as well as with all stakeholders in the NRC area of intervention
- Ensure the participation of female workers in key positions in the construction/rehabilitation of shelters and community infrastructures and other shelter activities
- Represent NRC in-field coordination meeting when required.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments / units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Project planning: Shelter Officer, Core Competency Assistants, Field Officer, M&E
- Assessments: Local authorities, Field Officer, M&E
- Area operations: Field officers
- Staff capacity building: Shelter Specialist, Shelter Coordinator, Shelter Officer, HR Officer
- Implementation: Shelter Officer, Field Officer
Scale and Scope of the Position
- Numbers and titles of staff directly managed by the postholder, and numbers of staff and daily workers / incentive staff responsible for overall in the unit (e.g. 5 project officers and 2 education assistants, 34 staff in total) - Nill
- Key external stakeholders the post has relationships with (e.g. UN agencies, INGOs, local NGOs, civil society, governmental bodies):
- Local Authorities (LGA Chairman, Bulama), SEMA/ NEMA representatives, NGO’s Field project representatives
- List of budgets covered by postholder, and size of the budget:
- Brief description of the information resources the postholder is responsible for at CO level (e.g. GORS, Agresso, Webcruiter, Intranet):
- M&E Dashboard, GORS, Agresso, NRC Intranet.
Legal or compliance:
- Brief description of any legal or compliance responsibility the postholder has (term of employment, vendors, donors):
- Term of employment, Code of Conduct
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
- These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic Professional Competencies:
- Experience from working as a Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Some knowledge of English
Context / Specific Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- University degree in Civil Engineering or Architecture
Note: All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
Application Deadline: 25 February, 2021