Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and nonchurch partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Private Extension Service Provider (PESP)
Locations: Benue and Kogi
Job Type: Full Time
Catholic Relief Services began working in Nigeria in the 1960s and was active during the 1967 civil war in the area of emergency response. After the war, the Nigerian government asked CRS and other international development agencies to leave the country. Thirty years later, with the return of democracy after years of military rule, CRS returned Nigeria in 2000 at the invitation of the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria. In partnership with the Catholic Church, other faith-based and community-based organizations, the private sector, local and international NGOs, and government institutions, CRS implements a range of complex programs with support from a variety of donors and private funds.
CRS operations in Nigeria are undertaken through local organizations in agriculture, emergency response, orphans and vulnerable children, health, HIV, governance and peace building. CRS has worked in 34 of the country’s 36 states, demonstrating the agency’s extensive grassroots networks and tremendous capacity to reach the rural poor.
CRS is implementing the Development of Cassava Seed Entrepreneur (DCSE) component of Building An Economically Sustainable Cassava Seed System, Phase 2 (BASICS-II) in Benue and Kogi State. BASICS-II is being implemented by a consortium of organisations led by IITA and covers the entire cassava seed value chain, ranging from breeder to farmer seed.
The project’s vision is to provide farmers with access to affordable, quality-assured seeds of the cassava varieties in demand by local food and processor markets through the establishment of a commercially viable seed value chain operating across breeder, foundation, and commercial seed levels.
This value chain will enable more efficient dissemination and adoption of new varieties to improve productivity, raise incomes of cassava growers and seed entrepreneurs, enhance gender equity, and contribute to inclusive agricultural transformation in Nigeria and Tanzania.
The DCSE component of the BASICS-II project which is being implemented by CRS will include the aggregation of CSEs and cover production and marketing of certified planting materials of improved cassava varieties to farmers within and outside of Kogi and Benue states. In implementing the component, CRS will identify, train and work with the Cassava Seed Entrepreneurs (CSEs) to plan and organize their seed production and marketing activities. They will be supported to be organised as formidable Seed Entrepnuers Networks (SEN5) operational in the implementation states.
The strategic objective of the DCSE component for Nigeria is to more than double the number of decentralized, commercially viable seed enterprises in Nigeria, while they increase in average size and aggregate into associations to facilitate marketing, quality control, and other services.
- The project seeks to engage the services of Private Extension Service Provider (PESP) in Benue and Kogi States.
The PESP will:
- Be responsible for providing necessary briefing and mobilization of CSEs in the State of assignment
- Be responsible for training and supporting the development of at least one new SEN in a new cassava growing area in the State of assignment
- Be responsible for growing of existing networks and formation of new networks in the State of assignment
- Be trained and also be responsible for providing the required capacity strengthening of the networks in the State of assignment
- Support the marketing of the CSEs' certified stems within and outside the State of assignment and
- Support the CSEs and SENs in regular updates of basic farm and network records
- Support the SENs to ensure timely and cost-effective procurement of inputs.
- Expected applicants for this position are agriculture (or related fields) graduates with requisite experience in provision of agricultural extension services to farmers including working experience in the preferred State
- Experience with and good knowledge of cassava production and cassava seed system will be an added advantage
- S / he must be ready to travel far and wide within the state and have previous good relationship working with farmers, farmer groups and stakeholders in the Agriculture sector.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are to submit an Expression of Interest and Curriculum Vitae for provision of the service(s) as a single Microsoft Word document to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail. E.g "BASICS-II Private Extension Service Provider (PESP)"
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Equal Employer Opportunity
- “CRS is an equal - opportunity employer, does not discriminate based on race, color, religion and we are committed to gender-sensitive programming and management’. etc. Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”
- By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its consultants and staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking
- Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal / provisional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Statement of Commitment to Protection:
- "CRS recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation".
Application Deadline: 16 November, 2020