Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in more than 100 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. Catholic Relief Services began working in Nigeria in the 1960s and was active during the 1967 civil war in the area of emergency response. After the war, the Nigerian government asked CRS and other international development agencies to leave the country.
Thirty years later, with the return of democracy after years of military rule, CRS returned to Nigeria in 2000 at the invitation of the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria. In partnership with the Catholic Church, other faith-based and community-based organizations, the private sector, local and international NGOs, and government institutions, CRS implements a range of complex programs with support from a variety of donors and private funds. CRS operations in Nigeria are undertaken through local organizations in agriculture, emergency response, orphans and vulnerable children, health, HIV, governance and peacebuilding. CRS has worked in 34 of the country's 36 states, demonstrating the agency’s extensive grassroots networks and tremendous capacity to reach the rural poor.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: GiZ Poultry Project Social Caseworker
Locations: MMC & Jere - Borno and Mubi & Maiha - Adamawa
Employment Type: Temporary
With donor support from the European Union (EU) and German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) through Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Catholic Relief Services (CRS/Nigeria), a prime recipient is implementing the Borno and Adamawa Women Poultry Project. The 18 months Activity was awarded by GIZ Nigeria to CRS and its partner on 1st March 2020 as part of GIZ’s contribution to the support of Internally Displaced Persons and the Resilience of Host Communities in North and North-East Nigeria seeks to support vulnerable populations to contribute to creation of livestock employment opportunities in Borno and Adamawa states to improve participants’ living conditions, and increase their income by producing and selling poultry and poultry products.
The Activity will work with a coalition of partners to provide agricultural extension and health services (including treatment and vaccination), to serve vulnerable populations, strengthen the institutions that form the market system and the networks that serve smallholder poultry producers who have been disenfranchised by conflict, and facilitate the engagement of vulnerable women in poultry agribusiness activities.
The project seeks to engage the services of Social Caseworkers who would be responsible for supporting poultry producer members in coaching, mentoring in poultry rearing and managing savings internal lending communities (SILC) activity in the groups:
- Promote the project and the SILC to community stakeholders (sensitization / marketing)
- Lead the mobilization and formation process for the poultry producer group.
- Mentoring, coaching and reinforce technical training on poultry rearing to poultry producer group members to develop their skill.
- Ensure the quality of SILC activity through managing and supervision of regular meetings and spot checks.
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of activity reporting.
- Collate data collection forms and MIS reports and take action to improve project performance
- Organize and oversee the poultry producer group.
- Living in targeted community as a permanent resident - this is critical and must be confirmed independently; beware of candidates who claim they have “just moved back” and might be commuters
- Well-known and respected by community members and leaders in the assigned area
- Reputation for integrity
- No criminal record or instances of disreputable behavior
- Basic arithmetic skills (including percentage calculations)
- Ability to read and understand the national language (used in guides and forms)
- Ability to communicate in local language(s) of assigned area
- Good community mobiliser and facilitator, with strong interpersonal and communication skills
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit an Application containing an expression of interest and a detailed resume as a single attachment on MS word document to: email@example.com using "GiZ Poultry Project Social Caseworkers" as the subject of the email.
Equal Employer Opportunity
- “CRS is an equal - opportunity employer, does not discriminate based on race, color, religion and we are committed to gender-sensitive programming and management’. etc.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”
- By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Statement of Commitment to Protection:
- ‘’CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation’’
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: 15 December, 2020