Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
Working together with children, young people, supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges girls and vulnerable children face. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years and are now active in more than 70 countries, driving changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. Plan International is registered in Nigeria with the Corporate Affairs Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Field Manager
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
- The purpose of this role is to co-ordinate the field operations and programming in Northeast Yobe state in line with Plan International Nigeria Policies, International best practices and relevant guidelines.
Dimensions of the Role
- Communicates widely within Plan International Nigeria across Plan International and with local implementing partners.
- The post holder will interface and support operational and programme team members and support programme and operational coordination.
- The role requires strong facilitation and organisational skills along with the ability to analyse and communicate complex information to all stakeholders.
In collaboration with the Field Team and the Humanitarian Project Manager, the Field Manager will be responsible for:
Field Operational Management:
- Coordinate all operational functions in the Yobe office to ensure overall management of Yobe-based operational support team.
- Ensure operational support for program teams and coordinate with sector officers for effective implementation of all project activities.
- Ensure health, safety and security protocols are followed at all times, and take corrective, timely actions as required and in consultation with the DERM and other CLT members
- Review security plans on a regular basis and ensure they are up to date at all times.
- Support budget holders in review of budget vs. actual reports with operations staff and ensure appropriate action is taken in a timely fashion.
- Support and coordinate with Yobe-based operations team and the CO in all aspects of supply chain support, including procurement, stock management, asset management, vehicle and equipment renewal, maintenance and repair (including communications and computer equipment).
- Oversee under the auspices of the Finance Manager the financial management of field office operations, and finance/logistics staff, including cash management and transactions, operational budget.
- Ensure complete and correct use of all finance forms and timely communication of financial issues to the financial controller.
- Ensure compliance with Plan International Nigeria and donor finance and logistics policies, including all aspects of procurement and asset management.
- Guarantee adequate communication and coordination between field locations, technical coordination staff and country office on daily activities as well as program and operational issues.
- Develop a Yobe-focused operations plan to support the program activities and the scale up programming
- Ensure regular programme coordination and review meetings hold
- Follow-up on project close-out plan.
Coordination and Representation:
- Represent Plan International to UN, international and National NGOs, and attend coordination meetings as needed at the state level.
- Actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders at the state level including donors, government actors, local traditional leadership, beneficiary populations and their representatives, etc.
- Establish and maintain networks with UN, INGOs, and local partners to promote strategic partnerships.
- Establish and maintain strategic partnerships with government and MDA
Human Resource Development:
- Ensure ongoing capacity building of operations team (Security, HR, Admin, Logistics) through support to direct supervisors in ensuring staff performance evaluations and individual development plans.
- Support field staff in the implementation of personnel policies including coaching, performance evaluation, staff development, and disciplinary measures.
- Supports the orientation, on-going development/training and build capacity of national programmes staff and local partner staff to ensure a high level of expertise in line with organizational requirement.
Learning and Knowledge Management:
- Shares information within the Programme and operational team in a systematic timely manner.
- Facilitates processes for internal and external knowledge sharing among national programmes teams in the region and supports such processes between regions
- Participates in global / regional projects / networks as requested.
- Support resource mobilisation efforts of proposal writing and budgeting and related engagement.
- Manage competing priorities and expectations from internal and external stakeholders and remain calm and resilient in the face of pressure.
- Manage multiple and work with distant colleagues to form a virtual efficient administration team;
- Use Plan procedures to settle conflicts among colleagues;
- Resolve problems that are not covered by established process.
- Analyse possible causes of problems and suggest solutions to get them resolved.
- Refer, whenever necessary, the case to the Humanitarian Programme Manager for consideration.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree a plus (Management-related or General Operations preferred);
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience managing operations and/or projects in developing countries, preferably in emergency contexts.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Demonstrate ability to manage field staff and remote field offices
- Experience in logistics, HR / Admin, and security management in emergencies
- Experience having managed operations (including security) in conflict-impacted setting
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills
- Excellent staff capacity building and training skills
- Strong problem-solving, analytical and decision-making skills;
- Strong computer skills;
- Flexibility, ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within the team and with stakeholders
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and Organisational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning
Note: Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities. Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline: 18 January, 2021