Canonical - We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely, and more cost-effectively than any other company. We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means 'humanity to others. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation. Together with a community of 200,000, we publish an operating system that runs from the tiny connected devices up to the world's biggest mainframes, the platform that everybody uses on the public cloud, and the workstation experience of the world's most productive developers. Secure and reliable, elegant and intuitive, and open for innovation - Ubuntu is the future of open source, which is why it's the fastest-growing Linux in the world despite already being the most widely deployed.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, DevOps Engineering
- As the Director of DevOps Engineering, your primary responsibility is to the people you lead and support:
- Ensuring that they are growing as engineers, doing valuable work, and finding satisfaction in their career at Canonical.
- As a lead for software engineers, technical leadership and a solid background in software development is a must, so that you’re able to challenge and grow your team members.
- You will have the opportunity to influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on direction and execution.
What you’ll do:
- Understand the global state of the art in open source operations
- Prioritize our efforts to raise the bar on complex software-defined infrastructure
- Ensure processes and training are in place for continuous improvement in our services
- Lead and develop three regional teams of engineers spanning all major time zones
- Hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback, and hands-on career development
- Plan and manage progress on agreed goals and projects
- Set and manage expectations with other engineering and operational teams
- Coordinate with management and external stakeholders or customers
- Advocate modern, agile software development practices
- Help develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organization
- Global travel up to 10% of the time for internal and external events
Who you are:
- University Degree in Computer Science or related Software Engineering field
- Advanced level Python programming skills
- Experience running production operations as SAAS or IT with critical uptime requirements
- Experience running production operations for external customers and partners
- Familiarity with DevOps principles and practices
- Leadership ability and ability to set and maintain a high standard of excellence in operations
- You love developing and growing people and can demonstrate a track record of doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You have experience in leading, coaching, and mentoring software developers
- You have clarity on the drivers of quality in software engineering and an ability to ensure that
- You are organized and want your team to deliver timely software releases
- You have solid experience working in an agile development environment
- You have a thorough understanding of modern infrastructure, including Kubernetes or OpenStack
- You have sound knowledge of cloud computing concepts & technologies
- You have practical knowledge of Linux and networking
- You have hands-on experience with software automation
- You are fluent and comfortable in cloud terminology
What you will learn:
- OpenStack and Kubernetes in operation
- Wide range of open source applications and capabilities
- Work directly with customers in a range of different businesses
- Real-life and hands-on exposure to a wide range of emerging technologies and tools.
- Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world-class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs.
- We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all qualified individuals.
- All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.