Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) Center is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technology Enhanced & E-Learning Application Consultant
Reference: TEELA 1912021.
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Contract
Background / Context
- The TEELA in this project will support and strengthen the pedagogical teaching by CIVIC Nigeria team when engaging with the Nigerian military and other security forces to instill a Protection of Civilians (POC) mindset and practical POC reflexes towards civilians when they encounter them before, during, and after their operations. The serious game app will support and complement face-to-face analog or ‘face-to-face’ virtual training sessions (including scenario-based exercises) that CIVIC has been undertaking with the Nigerian security forces at various institutional levels. It is developed with a view to potentially expand upon and build on with ease, to include more protection issues and more and different storylines and avatars.
- By realistically immersing the player into Nigerian conflict contexts, the application seeks to sensitize Nigerian security forces to the protection challenges civilians face. The application will test the players’ understanding and recognition of the various dilemmas and vulnerabilities that different civilians face when trapped in conflict (e.g., children, adolescents, women, the disabled, and the elderly). As a subsequent step, the application will instill different protection reflexes amongst the players to adapt their specific behavior as a security force member to avoid and/or mitigate civilian harm. The contractor will be expected to creatively think through how to provide interesting formats, including with engaging audio and visual support to meet the deliverables above.
- The application may be displayed online or used in presentations by staff to illustrate the variety of approaches CIVIC uses to influence the mindset and behavior of armed actors towards civilians. The selected expert will be expected to work closely with CIVIC’s Nigeria program team, particularly the Nigeria Country Director and Senior Military Advisor to promote acceptance and usage of the application within the military and other security institutions/members.
Purpose of the Consultancy / Terms of Reference
- CIVIC is inviting all interested consultants to apply for the position of a short-term senior military expert on Technology Enhanced E-Learning Application (TEELA) for the military or war Gaming. CIVIC seeks to produce a Technology Enhanced E-Learning Application (playable on smartphones and laptop computers) aimed at soldiers and/or law enforcement members.
- The goal is to change and improve these forces’ behavior towards better protecting civilians in conflict zones aimed at soldiers and/or law enforcement members. It seeks to change and improve these forces’ behavior towards civilians when they encounter them in zones of armed conflict or other situations of violence.
- To achieve this goal, the TEELA will put armed actors in the shoes of civilians trapped in conflict and thereby sensitize them to the various protection needs and rights civilians have. It will also permit the armed actors to practice modifications to their behaviors and actions going forward to better respect the rights of civilians. The content for storyboard(s) and connected decision-making trees for the players to navigate through will be provided by CIVIC.
- Topics to be incorporated in the TEELA content can include stigmatization of civilians, consequences suffered from a lack of applied distinction (by armed actors) between combatants and civilians, disproportionate use of force, conflict-related sexual violence, extortion, arbitrary arrest and detention, forced displacement, and suffering caused by excessive use of force by security forces in law enforcement contexts.
The consultant will be working with the Senior Military Adviser and the training team, the successful consultant will develop and deliver the above-listed outputs in accordance with the below-outlined timeframe and specifications. Specifically, the consultant will carry out the following tasks:
- To assist CIVIC getting a buy-in and acceptability from the Nigeria Military especially in training institutions and other paramilitary organizations which will lead to a target of at least 5, 000 download and usage in the first year.
- Facilitate training in various institutions on the usage of the app.
Experience & Qualifications
- Prior service as a military officer of the rank of Colonel and above with brigade or higher echelon experience.
- Graduate of Senior Professional Military Education (Nigerian or Foreign Equivalent of National Defense College or Service War College, such as Army War College Nigeria).
- Experience in the design and delivery of high-quality training to the Nigerian Armed Forces
- Experience in military Tactical operations planning and execution.
- Experience in various Mission Command Systems
- Experience in command at the battalion level.
- Strong personal network in the Nigerian Armed Forces,
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop collaborative relationships, especially in a multi-component project.
- Superior analytic, communication and interpersonal skills, including training and facilitation skills and demonstrated experience working with multicultural teams.
- Operational experience in a forward-deployed battalion (or higher)
- Experience in engaging and managing relationships with the Nigerian Armed Forces.
- Current operational experience in internal security operations (ISO) inside Nigeria (defined as serving in ISO within the last 4 years, experience in the Northeast preferred); experience serving in a peacekeeping operation preferred.
- Experience training Nigerian Armed Forces or other armed forces required; experience training on protection of civilians or International Humanitarian Law or serving as Directing Staff at a military institution is strongly desirable, Flexibility, cultural awareness, and sensitivity.
- Post Graduate Degree (or bachelor’s with requisite experience) and at least 9 years of related experience required.
- Knowledge of Military Aid to Civilian Authorities (MACA) operations
- Knowledge of network compliance and services simulating real-world combat environment.
- Familiarity with Operational Design is desirable.
- Prior experience working at a non-profit desirable.
- Demonstrated experience networking with donors, government officials and the private sector.
- Payment will be disbursed after the completion of agreed deliverables.
- Please note that CIVIC will deduct and remit to the Federal Inland Revenue (FIR) a 5% withholding for individual consultant and 10%Tax for a Limited Liability Company from the total consultancy fees in accordance with the Nigerian Tax Law.
- This consultancy is expected to be accomplished within a time frame of 30 working days.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified consultants should send their Expression of Interest (EOI) along with a detailed Resume as attached MS word documents and a copy of previous work done in a similar area to: email@example.com The title must be expressly stated as the subject of the email quoting reference "TEELA 1912021" Any application without quoting the reference code will be disqualified.
Note: Only applicants who send in the required format will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: 29 January, 2021