FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology - creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: State Director
Location: Uyo, Akwa Ibom
Job Type: Full time
Supervisor: Deputy Chief of Party Technical
- The State Director is part of the senior management team for FHI 360 Nigeria, in a decentralized country management structure and forms part of the strategic team that directs the operations of FHI 360 Nigeria overall.
- H/She is responsible for program planning, implementation, monitoring, and reporting of the interventions implemented by FHI 360 and its partners in the assigned state.
- H/She provides technical and management leadership in HIV prevention, care and treatment, TB and Integrated Medical Services and develop technical strategies and oversee their design and implementation for FHI 360 Nigeria programs ensuring the appropriate application of theory and best practice to the design and implementation of public health interventions.
- H/She is accountable for judicious use of all resources entrusted with FHI 360 and its partners in the assigned state.
Duties and responsibilities
- Oversee the development of strategies for the design and implementation of FHI 360 Nigeria public health interventions including HIV/AIDS interventions, linked with care and treatment activities. Others include TB, RH/FP, Malaria, Cervical cancer screening etc
- Ensure that appropriate technical strategies, policies and SOP’s are developed and implemented in accordance to FHI 360, USAID, OCAG and Nigerian regulations
- Participate in development of and monitors work plans and budgets; ensures appropriate levels of technical assistance in program operations; coordinates partner efforts in program implementation; ensures appropriate program monitoring and accurate financial and programmatic reporting to the Country Office.
- Work with the relevant departments to establish and execute a capacity development plan to provide assistance to the state office for effective program planning, implementation and monitoring.
- Provide overall supervision for FHI360/Nigeria state office staff and ensure compliance with technical, programmatic, contractual and financial requirements set by FHI360 and its donors.
- Responsible for the overall management and coordination of FHI360 activities at the state office.
- Serve as the point of contact of FHI360 with government officials and coordinate and collaborate with all public sector and NGO partners at the state.
- With the assistance of the country office M&E staff, monitor all intervention strategies to ensure that they meet contractual, financial and programmatic goals.
- With technical assistance from country office technical specialists, provide programmatic/technical assistance to all local FHI360 partners in the design, implementation, modification, monitoring and evaluation of project activities.
- Provide technical assistance through the review and/or writing of protocols, papers, reports to ensure accuracy and appropriateness.
- Ensure that results from research and published best practices are incorporated into FHI 360 Nigeria’s interventions and contribute significantly to this literature.
- Coordinate all capacity building activities for FHI360 partners at the state level.
- Review periodic reports (programmatic and financial) submitted by all collaborating partners at the state office level and forward same to the country office.
- Undertake regular monitoring visits to project sites as necessary.
- Ensure that all FHI360 assets and other resources are effectively managed.
- Collaborate with other IPs based in the state to coordinate project activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Experience in designing and implementing of public health/international development programs funded by US government or other international donors.
- Extensive knowledge of health and development programming in a developing country.
- Working knowledge of major donor policies (USAID, Global Fund) as well as international not-for- profit organizations.
- Demonstrated management, supervision, networking and leadership skills working with large, complex programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of strategic planning, administrative, and financial management systems.
- Diplomatic; demonstrated experience in undertaking high-level policy dialogue with different stakeholders.
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS, health systems, decentralization of services and related issues.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding HIV infection.
- Ability to manage projects, consultants, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of programs.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants, and recipients of assistance.
- Demonstrated expertise in building effective relationship with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to intervene with staff with diplomacy and firmness.
- Ability to travel in Nigeria up to 25%
Qualifications and Requirements:
- MB.BS/MD/PHD or similar degree with 7-9 years professional public health experience including at least five years specialized experience in HIV/AIDS care in developing country settings plus at least four years management experience. Experience must reflect the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
- MS/MA in social science, public health or related field, MPH preferred, and a minimum of 9-11 years relevant experience with international development programs which includes 4 years relevant supervisory experience.
- BS/BA in social science, public health or related field, with a minimum of 11-13 years relevant experience with international development programs which includes 4 years of relevant supervisory experience.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health systems, international donor organizations, NGOs and CBOs is required.
- Demonstrated success in multicultural environments is required.
Application Closing Date