United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Registration Associate
Job ID: 25072
Location: Takum, Taraba
Salary Grade: G6
Hardship Level: D
Family Location Type: Non-Family
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
- The Registration Associate is a member of the Registration team and is normally supervised by the Registration Officer. The Registration Associate is responsible for supporting all activities related to registration, and with ensuring that registration is effectively used for the identification of specific protection needs, for the management of operations, and for the achievement of durable solutions.
- Depending on the size and structure of the Office, the Registration Associate may provide day-to-day supervision, direction and support to UNHCR staff engaged in registration and related activities (including Reception, Filing and Data Management staff), and monitors the efficiency and quality of registration processes, identity and entitlement documentation activities and population data management. The Registration Associate collaborates closely with Protection, Programme, Operational Data Management and Information Management colleagues as well as with Government authorities and partners on the provision of quality population data for the delivery of registration activities.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR's core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Assist in the implementation of registration strategies and methodologies for populations of concern.
- Assist in the supervision and daily running of registration team activities, where required.
- Conduct registration interviews when required in accordance with registration standards and guidance.
- Provide counselling to, and responds to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR's registration procedures and their rights and entitlements.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records and data related to all registration cases.
- Identify persons with specific needs and ensure timely referral to protection follow-up as required.
- Collaborate with protection staff and/or partners in the delivery of assistance and programming, including the provision of identity and entitlement documentation.
- Draft correspondence and reports relating to registration activities in the operation, when required
- Provide statistics and draft reports related to registration data, as requested.
- In consultation with the supervisor, make decisions related to the day-to-day operations of the registration unit and devise registration procedures which are efficient and effective.
- Draft and submit reports and statistics related to registration.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience:
- Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For G6 - 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education:
Certificates and/or Licenses:
- Social sciences;
- Information technology;
- (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience:
- Essential: Good computer skills, particularly in data management.
- Desirable: Training in basic principles of international protection. Experience in working with UNHCR proGres software.
- MS-Data Collection and Analysis
- IT-IT Refugee Systems & Applications
- CL-Programme Management (project formulation, programme cycles and reporting standards)
- EX-Experience in international organization (United Nations or similar)
- PR-Experience in Registration
- (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- Please also note that English is essential for this Job Opening.
- Knowledge of local Language is an highly recommended
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Analytical Thinking
- Technological Awareness
- Planning and Organizing
- A written test may be conducted for this position which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
- Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
- This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.
Procedures and Eligibility:
- Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
- Applicants must be nationals of, and be locally recruited within the country of their employment.
- This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position.
- Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Application Deadline: 04 March, 2021