UN Women - In July 2010, the United nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title Programme Associate
Type of Contract: Service Contract
Post Level: SB-3
Duration of Initial Contract: 1 year
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Spotlight Initiative is a global partnership between the United Nations (UN) and the European Union (EU) to eliminate all forms of violence against women and girls in support of the 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development. It was launched in September 2017 by the UN Secretary-General and the EU High Representative and Vice President (HRVP).
The 500 million Euro Initiative provides a model for partnerships with donors, civil society, and the UN to deliver on the SDGs in a comprehensive manner leveraging comparative expertise. SDG 5 and the achievement of gender equality are placed at the centre of efforts (alongside Goal 16) with the aim to provide an enabling environment for the implementation of all goals. Within the UN, the Initiative will operationalize the UN development system reforms and model a new way of delivering on the SDGs in an integrated way, leveraging collaborative advantages. Three Core Agencies: UNDP (the United Nations Development Programme, the United Nations Population (UNFPA) and UN Women) will work together with other UN agencies to make large-scale investments in priority countries.
Reporting to the Programme Specialist:
- Technical Coherence, Spotlight Initiative, the Programme Associate works with and provides support to the members of the Spotlight Programme Team in the development and implementation of effective interventions consistent with UN Women rules and regulations.
- S / he contributes to research, financial management, and programme implementation including providing necessary operational, procurement, administrative and programmatic support.
- The Programme Associate works in close collaboration with the operations and programme staff in the Spotlight Initiative and UN Women CO and ensures that there is effective information flow and efficient coordination of work processes between programmes and operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide Administrative Support to the Financial Management of the Spotlight Initiative:
- Create projects in Atlas ( the ERP), prepare budget revisions, revise project awards and status; and determine unutilized funds and the operational and financial close of a project;
- Provide administrative support in monitoring budget preparation and the finances of programmes / projects; including the finalization of FACE forms;
- Review financial reports; prepare non-PO vouchers for development projects;
- Process payment for consultants;
- Maintain internal expenditures control system;
- Create requisitions in Atlas for development projects; register good receipts in the Atlas;
- Assist in the preparation and follow up of cost-recovery bills in Atlas.
Provide administrative and logistical support to the formulation and management of programmes:
- Provide administrative support in the preparation of programme work plans, budgets, and proposals on programme implementation arrangements;
- Provide coordination, logistical and facilitation support to the programme implementation
- Draft minutes of programme related meetings
- Provide technical guidance to the Spotlight Initiative and executing agencies on routine delivery and reporting of programme supported activities and finances;
- Prepare information for the audit of programmes / projects and support implementation of audit recommendations;
- Review programme data from programmes / projects for the Spotlight Initiative website;
- Identify sources, and gather and compile data and information for the preparation of documents, guidelines, speeches and position papers.
Provide Administrative Support to the Spotlight Initiative:
- Undertake all logistical, administrative and financial arrangements for organization for meetings, workshops, events, and missions;
- Make travel arrangements for the Programme Team, including travel requisitions and claims;
- Prepare public information materials and briefing packets;
- Assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations.
Provide administrative and logistical support to civil society organizations (CSO), service providers and consultants:
- Provide administrative, drafting and coordination support to preparing communication, contracts, agendas, visas, hotels
- Provide administrative support to monitoring visits
Provide administrative support to the implementation of Human Resources services:
- Prepare and issue contracts
- Maintain records of all programme personnel and consultants and their respective status
Provide Administrative Support to Resource Mobilization:
- Prepare cost-sharing and other agreements; follow up on contributions within the Spotlight Initiative resource mobilization efforts;
- Organize, compile and process information from donors, Spotlight Initiative, and programme team, as inputs to various databases and documents.
Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- Provide administrative support synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices related to programme management and finance;
- Provide administrative support to the organization of training for the office staff and partners on programme and operations related issues.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and accurate support to events, workshops, and missions;
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Timely recording of overall programme unit finances;
- Timely and accurate tracking of data for CO management and donor purposes;
- Quality maintenance of internal systems.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Completion of secondary education required.
- Bachelor's degree in Business or Public Administration or any numerate discipline
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good knowledge of programme management;
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to create, edit and present information in clear and presentable formats;
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow;
- Strong financial and budgeting skills;
- Strong IT skills.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in the UN or any international organisation in administration or programme support
- Strong Financial and budgeting skills
- Good writing skills with the ability to present information in clear and presentable format
- Experience in working in a computer environment using multiple office software packages especially Ms Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Experience in the use of an ERP is an asset;
- Experience in supporting a team.
- Experience in an EU funded programme is an added advantage
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Application Deadline: 14 December, 2020