Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Assistant
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Position Status: Full-time, Exempt, Regular
Duration: 17 months with possibility of extension
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls empowerment, economic and market development and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from the Northeast of Nigeria and causing displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs. With funding from institutional donors, foundations and private corporations, Mercy Corps continues to provide assistance to meet the basic needs of vulnerable populations in the areas of food security, shelter, water and sanitation, protection, and livelihoods.
- With the recognition of the protracted crisis in Northeast Nigeria, Mercy Corps' strategy and expansion plans aim to address the root causes of the crisis and seek to build long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, and youth empowerment with emphasis on adolescent girls and boys. With multiple funding streams from large institutional donors and foundations, Mercy Corps' programs in Northeast Nigeria continue to scale up and serve communities by transitioning them from humanitarian aid to early recovery programs.
General Position Summary
- This role will support and monitor the new EU funded pilot project COMITAS - or Contributing to the Mitigation of Conflict over Natural Resources between Farmer and Herder Communities in Adamawa State. The project will be implemented through a Consortium led by IOM in partnership with Mercy Corps and Search for Common Ground.
- While clashes are often understood in ethno-religious terms due to the spread of unreliable information, competing claims to land, water and other natural resources are at the root of growing tensions between farmer and herder communities in Nigeria. The project aims to contribute to the mitigation of conflict over natural resources with Mercy Corps capitalizing on its trusted relationships with local stakeholders across Nigeria's Middle Belt to continue to empower communities to prevent and respond to violence by strengthening collaboration on natural resources management. To achieve its goal COMITAS is structured around four pillars built on each of Consortium partners' expertise and strengths:
- Strengthen traditional conflict resolution in the targeted locations in Adamawa state;
- Improve trust in authorities' commitment to provide security and adequate resource management;
- Enhanced collaboration in managing use of natural resources;
- Improve intra and inter communal perceptions.
- Under the direction of the Senior Program Officer, the Programme Assistant (PA) will provide overall support to the program teams in the day to day implementation of all program activities in the areas of intervention.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist program team to ensure COMITAS progress according to the developed schedule and the implementation work plan.
- Develop and submit weekly and monthly activity plans in time for review and prior to implementation.
- Assist the project team and Consortium partners to plan, organize and conduct quality community trainings, sessions and document the process, content delivered and identify indicators that you will monitor.
- In collaboration with the Monitoring Evaluation and Learning team, support the implementation of relevant surveys, need assessments, data and information collection for on-going monitoring and report on the project progress
- Support in the process of beneficiary registration, community mobilization and sensitization.
- Assist in promoting community participation and inclusion so as to encourage community ownership over activities implemented.
- Ensure equal representation of various community groups in the implementation of activities.
- Assist in the facilitation of community meetings, focus group discussion and other as required by the program.
- Keep senior program officer and management updated with regards to security situation in the project implementation area.
- Provide weekly field reports, capturing activities progress, lessons learned as well as general situation and community updates and needs.
- Document lessons learned and success stories on the project.
- Ensure adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Other duties as assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects
- Supervisory Responsibility: None
- Reports directly to: Senior Program Officer
- Works directly with: Program teams, Finance Department, MEL, Program Quality Team (PaQ)
Knowledge and Experience
- BA / Sc. in relevant field or other similar fields; MA/MS/MBA or equivalent preferred in international relations, development, management, economics or another relevant field.
- At least 3 years of management experience in progressively responsible positions, preferably in conflict management, peacebuilding and/or governance technical areas.
- Experience leading the implementation of multi-sector integrated programs, preferably in the area of peacebuilding and conflict mitigation, or working in social outreach, governance and policy development activities
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local stakeholders, host government officials, and local and international partners.
- Experience in managing staff, providing leadership, clear tasks and oversight.
- Ability to work independently in the field and show initiative. Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work cooperatively with team members.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to develop good relationships with a wide range of actors required.
- Good organizational skills, ability to make recommendations for improvement and contribute to overall program strategy.
- Ability to write clear and concise reports in English, knowledge of Hausa is a plus
- Willingness to travel throughout the different project areas.
- Experience in conducting trainings and workshops is desirable.
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation is an advantage.
- The successful Program Assistant will skillfully assist the implementation of COMITAS activities within time, scope and budget. The successful candidate will be an effective communicator, with dedication towards community work, commitment to work long hours in the field conditions with limited access to resources. S/He will be highly motivated, with initiative and capable to work without direct supervision. S/he will be willing to conduct field travels and work in ethnically and culturally diversified and fast-growing team.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position will be based in Yola, Adamawa State, Nigeria and requires frequent travel to other field locations as well as Abuja. Considering the frequent travel from/to different field locations, this position will require flexibility in terms of accommodation and logistics. Housing in the field will be in hotels or guesthouses where available. Security in the field locations require additional vigilance and accessibility will be reassessed continuously. Access to good medical services in the field is limited. Phone communication, internet, electricity and water is available but might be erratic.
- The location is not eligible for hardship and R&R benefits. Given the nature of the response, working hours require flexibility and working through weekends/evenings might be necessary.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one document to: email@example.com using the "Job Title, Location and Reference" as the subject of the email.
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal employment opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Application Deadline: 04 November, 2020