Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and nonreligious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
The PUI Nigerian Mission was officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent humanitarian needs, including improving access to food commodities for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC), later adding Primary Health Care and Nutrition activities. This initial intervention was focused on populations living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC) LGA.
The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated programming from 2017 onward in Bolori II sub-ward of MMC, in food security, livelihoods, nutrition, health, and Protection and Community Outreach (PCO), with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. In 2018, PUI also started MHPSS activities. In parallel, PUI is supporting the coordination mechanisms through the Logistics Sector by consolidating and transporting humanitarian partners’ cargo funded by WFP since 2016.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nurse
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Start Date: As soon as possible
Contract End Date: 30th November, 2021 (renewable based on availability of funding)
- Under the direct supervision of the SRH or OPD supervisor, the Nurse provides patients consultations in collaboration with Midwife and other team members in the facility.
- S/he follows PUI protocols and standards to ensure Quality and contiunity of care, promotion and restoration of health of patients and population.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Ensure and conduct the medical consultations with full history taking, clinical examination and provide a diagnosis and prescribe treatment accordingly following the protocols and universal precautions.
- Explain clearly the diagnosis and treatment to the patient and make sure that the patients comply with the treatment.
- Request for a 2nd evaluation of the patient when needed.
- Provide individual health promotion during consultations.
- Delegate the treatment cares (distribution of drugs, injections, dressings…) to Nurse assistant. Manage and report any suspected communicable disease case according to Première Urgence Internationale’s protocols and national Disease Surveillance guidelines.
- Execute any action requested by the PM, DPM or Medical Coordinator as part of the outbreak response plan.
- Actively participate in the good cohesion and coordination of the team.
- Record on a readable manner the health status and medical prescription.
- Participate in the follow-up of the waste management according to the waste management procedures.
- Be available on call for emergencies at any time of the day and night all week.
- Ensure that all patients and their relatives are treated equally, with respect of ethical and confidential issues and according to Première Urgence Internationale chart.
- Collaborate with other departments as needed to ensure smooth implementation and integration of services.
Management of an Efficient Referral System:
- Manage the emergency and electives referral cases according to the referral protocol by facilitating the logistics including transportation means, appointment with specialists, laboratory tests etc. in collaboration with OPT supervisor.
- Follow up the referred cases, and check the outcome.
- Ensuring appropriate follow-up care has been given and taking appropriate action if further care is needed.
- Identify and refer patients who need mental health consultation.
Medical Data Collection and Reporting:
- Record accurately and on a readable manner, the clinical case management on the patient health card (history taking, physical examination, treatment, investigation, etc.), and patient registration book.
- Ensure an accurate daily use and tracking of epidemiological data.
- Participate actively in the early warning system and the outbreak response plan.
- Collect general information about the people living conditions.
- Participate to the assessment of health needs.
- Participate to the weekly medical statistic report in collaboration with OPT supervisor and the deputy program manager.
- Ensure an oral hand over at every team change over, draw attention to any notable events during the shift.
- Adhere to supervisor with regards to work schedules, record keeping, patient communications, re-stocking of necessary drugs, consumables and other items.
- Participate in any other activities such as vaccination, survey…according to the needs and as directed.
- Report to the supervisor any problem especially the gap/loss/robbery/damage of medical equipment or medicines or any patient and organizational issue.
- Participate actively in meetings when required.
- Inform the direct supervisor of the various needs.
- Maintain the working environment in a clean and presentable state.
- Comply with PUI security procedures at all times.
- Remain aware of the security situation in office and clinic locations at all times and provide feedback to the health program manager.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required direct supervisor.
- Be available for any emergency.
Priorities of the Department:
- Assessment on beneficiaries at risk and diagnosed individuals with communicable and noncommunicable diseases or other diseases of public health relevant and treat him.
- Provide frequent feedback on health-illness patterns observed in the field that require further assessment.
- Report to line manager periodically regarding context changes that affect the modality of intervention.
Qualifications and Required Skills
- Education degree: Recognized Nurse Degree (at least certificate level) with national legislation
- Work experience: 2-3 years of experience in Nursing, or in OPD services work experience with other NGO’s would be an asset.
- Language skills: Good command in English (Speaking, Reading & Writing), and fluent in local Languages (Hausa And Kanuri)
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good knowledge of Communicable and Non Communicable diseases
- Good knowledge of Public Health
- Good ability for team work
- Ability to manage stress
- Interests: Working in humanitarian relief and interest in social issues
- Excellent communication, conflict solving and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations
- Team Spirit
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation.
- Ability to make decisions and to exercise authority when required
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking