Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring & Evaluation Learning Assistant
Reference: ABV / PRO / 2020 / 0036
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Position Status: Full-time, Exempt, Regular
Duration: 17 months with possibility of extension.
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic and market development and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from the Northeast of Nigeria and causing displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs. With funding from institutional donors, foundations and private corporations, Mercy Corps continues to provide assistance to meet the basic needs of vulnerable populations in the areas of food security, shelter, water and sanitation, protection, and livelihoods.
- With the recognition of the protracted crisis in Northeast Nigeria, Mercy Corps’ strategy and expansion plans aim to address the root causes of the crisis and seek to build long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, and youth empowerment with emphasis on adolescent girls and boys. With multiple funding streams from large institutional donors and foundations, Mercy Corps’ programs in Northeast Nigeria continue to scale up and serve communities by transitioning them from humanitarian aid to early recovery programs.
General Position Summary
- This role will support and monitor the new EU funded pilot project COMITAS - or Contributing to the Mitigation of Conflict over Natural Resources between Farmer and Herder Communities in Adamawa State. The project will be implemented through a Consortium led by IOM in partnership with Mercy Corps and Search for Common Ground.
- While clashes are often understood in ethno-religious terms due to the spread of unreliable information, competing claims to land, water and other natural resources are at the root of growing tensions between farmer and herder communities in Nigeria. The project aims to contribute to the mitigation of conflict over natural resources with Mercy Corps capitalizing on its trusted relationships with local stakeholders across Nigeria’s Middle Belt to continue to empower communities to prevent and respond to violence by strengthening collaboration on natural resources management. To achieve its goal COMITAS is structured around four pillars which capitalize on each of Consortium partners’ expertise and strengths:
- Strengthen traditional conflict resolution in the targeted locations in Adamawa state;
- Improve trust in authorities’ commitment to provide security and adequate resource management;
- Enhanced collaboration in managing use of natural resources;
- Improve intra and inter communal perceptions.
- Under the direction of the Senior Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Officer, the MEL Assistant will be responsible for the monitoring of project activities at project sites including data collection, data entry, knowledge management, basic analysis, assessment and routine reporting.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Assist the timely development of monitoring tools based on work plans and MEL framework, in close coordination with the program officers and MEL Team.
- Conduct regular data collection across program field sites, implementing tools such as pre- and post-tests, surveys, focus group discussions and interviews.
- Assist in monitoring of program activities, including distributions, trainings, to ensure that intended assistance is delivered to registered beneficiaries as scheduled,
- Provide support to the Sr MEL Officer in the design and upload of forms into digital data collection platforms such as ODK/Ona, Tola
- Ensure proper filing, handling and movement of project files.
- Assist in data entry into the project databases.
- Participate in program and sector specific assessments, monitoring, surveys and evaluations. This will entail management of data collectors and facilitating results discussion.
- Assist in data analysis and sharing and documentation on impact and lessons learned.
- Conduct participant verification, ensuring they match agreed criteria and established committee lists.
- Support the MC Natural Resources Management Advisor to conduct assessments and evaluations, including management of enumerators, as requested.
- Ensure adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals.
- Ensure all the activities are conducted in full respect to the humanitarian principles and in organized and dignified way.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Reports Directly to: Senior MEL Officer
- Works directly with: Country MEL Manager, PAQ Unit, Program teams
Knowledge and Experience:
- Preferably a Bachelor's degree in a related field: social sciences, development studies, education, etc. with a minimum of 1 year work experience.
- Experience in community work with previous experience in project monitoring, preferably with an NGO within Borno State.
- Demonstrated skills in planning, organizing, analyzing and reporting.
- Ability to interact effectively with various community members, conducting him/herself with sensitivity and respect towards others
- Willingness, ability to perform field work and work under pressure.
- Have a good appreciation of technology in enhancing program and MEL related activities
- Excellent computer skills – Word and Excel are required;
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Fluency in English and Hausa.
- She/he will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive communication skills and proven experience with capacity building.
- She/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position is based in Yola, Adamawa State and it requires frequent travel in other project locations including Demsa, Girei, Numan, Lamurde, and Song local government areas in Adamawa State, as well as Abuja. Considering the frequent travel from/to different field locations, this position will require flexibility in terms of accommodation and logistics.
- Housing in the field will be in hotels or guesthouses where available. Security in the field locations require additional vigilance and accessibility will be reassessed continuously. Access to good medical services in the field is limited. Phone communication, internet, electricity and water is available but might be erratic.
- The location is not eligible for hardship and R&R benefits. Given the nature of the response, working hours require flexibility and working through weekends/evenings might be necessary.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover letter in one document to: email@example.com using the "Job Title, Location and Reference" as the subject of the email.
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal employment opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Application Deadline: 04 November, 2020