Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with local governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Maternal and New Born / Contraception Technical Advisor
Job ID.: MATER01137
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time
- Provides technical leadership in SRHR program areas (MNH and Contraception) by promoting evidence-based best practices to achieve quality in health care. Collaborates with project teams on project activities to deliver excellence and quality SRHR services (MNH and Contraception) that are client-centered and right-based in order to achieve women's agency and autonomy.
- Collaborates with other members of the project team to ensure that deliverables meet the needs of intended populations. With capacity building and developing as a guiding principle, engages closely with country teams, government, and/or local NGOs on the design, management, and monitoring of all field-based programs. Coordinate with project teams to assess technical and training needs to review and adapt training materials and contribute to scaling up successful experiences in implementing best practices in clinical and community settings that lead to increased use of family planning services.
- Ensures that the project team draws on state-of-the-art knowledge and practices in the areas specific to the program area. Partners with other technical advisors to enable the policy, research, and programs that benefit women, girls, and communities. Please note: this opportunity requires fluency in French and English.
Key Job Outcomes
- Provides strategic technical leadership and expertise to project sites on the implementation of high-quality SRHR products and services at community levels. Leads in the development of or providing technical assistance in the global and country-specific approaches, tools, and materials supporting tailored approaches for intended populations in SRHR Builds on existing tools and develops or adapts innovative approaches to ensure efficiency, acceptability, and impact of SRHR and products and services.
Programming Design and Implementation:
- Co-leads in the design, development, and implementation of innovative, effective, country appropriate SRHR programming
- Provides technical assistance to country offices, host-country governments, local partners, and other agencies to assess needs and develop SRHR standards and guidance, and/or provide SRHR services that are responsive to the needs of intended populations.
- provide clinical guidance to Pathfinder as needed for the delivery of excellence in Pathfinder supported programs
- Collaborates with other USAID project teams, WHO and other donors, and country-based entities in the development and implementation of SRHR services to bring a broad range of resources to meet multiple needs of intended populations.
- Works with the technical teams to ensure that best practices for SRHR services and service integration are well documented, evaluated, and poised for scale-up. Coaches and builds teams to optimize staff performance programming, target setting, and project work plan and scale-up.
- Represents Pathfinder International to external organizations and audiences at professional meetings and conferences as assigned
Liaison with Key Stakeholders:
- Liaises and coordinates with key stakeholders, including USAID country missions, other donors and USG agencies, and international and local partners such as Bureau for Global Health, World Health Organization, IBP, Align MNH to play a highly proactive role in repositioning family planning as preventive health and socioeconomic development intervention and to share lessons and technical
Support Proposal development:
- Contribute to proposal development by providing technical guidance to ensure that best practices and evidence-based interventions are reflected in proposals.
Minimally Required Job-Specific Competencies;
- Country-Specific Public Health System: Advanced knowledge of the public health systems in francophone countries in sub-Saharan Africa
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights: Deep knowledge of SRHR and sexual and reproductive health principles (client-centered, reproductive rights and justice,) practices and services of programs, including program strategies and indicators, and the latest professional developments in SRHR.
- Program Operations and Development: Proven skills in designing, implementing, and monitoring of SRHR programs preferably those funded by USAID, WHO, or other donor organizations working in the health sector.
- Quality Improvement: Extensive knowledge and experience in client-centeredness framework and quality improvement approaches, processes and tools
- Technical Assistance: Proven skills and expertise in providing technical assistance in SRHR to country and project teams and ensure that best practices are rolled out in projects throughout the project lifecycle.
- Policy: Sufficient experience in advocacy including working with CSOs and other stakeholders to influence policy change.
- Networking and external representation: Proven engagement in regional SRHR related regional networks, platforms, and forums as well as building
- Proposal Development: Mastery of skills in proposal development from concept to full proposal, resource mobilization, and proven ability to raise substantial research/development
Minimally Required Organizational Competencies:
- Software Applications: Advanced knowledge of MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word and
- Languages: Proven writing and speaking skills in English and French
- Communication and Influencing Skills: Proven ability to influence others through diplomacy and proven oral and written communication skills.
- Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights: Commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and eradication of harmful traditional
- Presentation Skills: Proven ability to make presentations on results and products to small and large
- Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to be detailed-oriented, and ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Matrix Management: Ability to thrive in a matrix organization.
Required Education, Training and Experience
- Required: Clinical degree, medical degree, midwifery, nurse practitioner, or related.
- Required: 10 years experience in working in international development, preferably in implementing programs in SRHR programs in developing countries
- Required: Excellent French writing and oral skills
- Required: Experience living or working in developing countries that aids in the understanding of program context, field realities, and technical needs
- Prefer: Experience with USAID, BMGF, and LAD funded projects
- Prefer: Experience in project design and technical assistance to project teams
- Travel required (at least 25%)
- Uses cellular and desk phone, laptop or desktop computer
- Location: Any country where Pathfinder operates
Application Closing Date