The Center for Clinical Care and Clinical Research is an indigenous, non-profit organization that promotes best practices in health care delivery, medical training and research using locally adapted models of health systems strengthening. CCCRN has established a formidable presence in Nigeria. With the headquarters in Federal Capital Territory and field offices in its operational states, CCCRN built a vast network of health and allied professional staff, partners and collaborators.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Male IMsafer Instructor
Location: Calabar Municipal, Cross River
The Integrated Child Health and Social Service Award ICHSSA 1 is a newly awarded five-year agreement by USAID, commenced on December 19, 2019. ICHSSA 1 is implemented by Center for Clinical Care and Research Nigeria (CCCRN). The project will ensure that Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) are cared for and protected by their households, communities, and local and state government to reduce their vulnerability to HIV.
The project expected results is highlighted as follows:
- Households have increased access to basic services and care for OVC
- Communities ensure that OVC secure their rights
- Local and State Government deliver basic services, detect and respond to child rights violations
- Prioritized targeted services for specific OVC subpopulations delivered
CCCRN and its partner organization intend to implement the IMsafer sexual violence prevention curriculum in Cross State. IMpower is founded in Kenya, and implemented successfully across African and the United States, IMpower is a dual-gender program that teaches girls to set boundaries, stand up and defend themselves and boys to challenge rape culture, ask for consent and intervene in attack.
Research has shown the IMpower program drops rape rates by 50%, which has led to endorsements from the World Health Organization, the CDC, UNICEF and the Global Partnership to End Violence Against Children.
- Center for Clinical Care and Clinical Research Nigeria is collaborating with No Means No Worldwide to implement IMsafer, the evidence-based child safety and violence prevention program.
- Male IMsafer instructors are required to first go through an intensive 4-week training to learn the proven IMsafer system of violence prevention, intervention and recovery. During this training, instructors will master a 12-hour curriculum for males ages 9-14 that imparts mental, verbal and physical skillsetc as well asfeminist philosophy human rights.
- They will be responsible for implementing the male IMsafer curriculum with boys aged 9 - 14 in the prioritize communities and LGA.
4-Week Training Expectations for Certification
- Active participation
- Present for 100% of days of training
- Timely arrival to all training sessions
- Positive attitude during training sessions
- Ability to use feedback as a way to improve on any weaknesses as an instructor
- A strong understanding of the curriculum and motivation to teach the program effectively
- Enthusiastic desire and commitment to the global movement to end rape
- Must be available to participate in a non – residential 4-week training (Monday – Thursday 4days in a week) to learn the IMsafer curriculum and prevention intervention.
- Work in a pair of two to implement the IMsafercurriculum with adolescent boys aged 9 - 14 years and maintain follow-up with participants of the groups
- Contribute to the development of a comprehensive referral network of prevention and aftercare resources and providers i.e. medical, legal, social
- Set up and maintain Survivors In recovery Anonymous (SIRA) meetings for survivors
- Conduct and collect basic M&E data from participants and report timely to CCCRN partner’s CBO.
- Liaise with local child safety, gender-based violence organizations, stakeholders, government sources and schools’
- Participates in monthly review meetings for all instructors
- Male, ideally aged 19-30
- English Language - Must be proficient in English, specifically able to read and speak
- Knowledge of the local language and can use to communicate with the adolescent groups
- Available for 4-week non – residential training (Mondays - Thursdays) January 18 – February 13, 2021
- Available to implement IMsafer with adolescent boys from February 2021 through September, 2021
- Minimum requirements BSc Holder in any field
- Proficient in the use of a computer, Microsoft suites (MsWord, MsExcel and Ms Powerpoint)
- Feminism - Commitment to feminist values and ideologies
- Gender-Based Violence - Familiarity with gender-based violence and its origins
- Reproductive Health - Knowledgeable about sexual and reproductive health
- Group Facilitation - Comfortable leading or facilitating group learning
- Critical Thinking - Able to observe and synthesize the pros and cons of a situation and use learning to implement a best course of action
- Organizational - Able to juggle competing priorities, interests, trainings, schedules, timelines and work-related arrangements
- Tenacity - Able to not give up and find ways around, over, under, through
- Effective Communicator - Especially verbally
- Reliability - Excellent punctuality and consistency
- Coaching / teaching - in formal or informal settings
- Community organizing - for behavior change, social cause
- Social justice work - committed to equity and human rights
- Negotiating and storytelling skills - with youth and adults
- Survivor - knowledge of assault, abuse, childhood trauma
- Data collection / research - experience designing, organizing, conducting, analyzing and summarizing research
- Servant leadership - understanding the interplay of humility and leadership
Application Deadline: 06 January, 2021