KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), still the deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable TB control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Technical Advisor
Location: Akwa Ibom
Employment Type: Fixed Term Contract (12 months)
- In collaboration with Cepheid HBDC, KNCV is implementing the Cepheid project to providing a basic technical service package for the novel molecular test to detect tuberculosis (TB) via diagnostic technology endorsed by the World Health Organization.
- This technology has been scaled up Nationally across various laboratory networks. This is a basic service provision that includes installation, training and retraining, troubleshooting and maintenance both remotely and on site where the technology is in use across Nigeria.
- KNCV /Cepheid aims to achieve effective and efficient use of GeneXpert MTB/RIF machines by building capacity of both the end-users as well as with National TB and other disease programs.
Purpose of the Job
- The Laboratory Advisor is expected to provide technical and programmatic support especially in the areas of support for genexpert instrument installation and training, preventive maintenance, troubleshooting, error resolution and retraining. The Laboratory Advisor is responsible for achieving the project goals in the South-South Region of Nigeria.
Position in the organization:
- The Laboratory Advisor reports to the Project Coordinator at KNCV’s Country Office in Abuja, Nigeria. S/he will also contribute to the strengthening of working relationships with other stakeholders and Cepheid Customers in technical building of systems for programme sustainability.
As Technical Laboratory Advisor/Cepheid, you will:
- Provide technical support for the use of the genexpert technology especially in areas of preventive maintenance and error resolutions, maintenance and troubleshooting;
- In conjunction with KNCV country office, S/he will seek solutions to resolve major technical problems of the GeneXpert machine identified by end users, super users and stakeholders;
- Reduce to the barest minimum the genexpert instrument downtime;
- Monitor and mitigate all high error facilities and states;
- Document appropriately the logged cases and follow through for the resolution of each case in record timing;
- Provide technical guidance on training and capacity building in the use of the GeneXpert technology in the concerned states.
Laboratory Technical Advisor (Cepheid):
- Provide technical and programmatic support especially in the area of GeneXpert maintenance, remote and onsite support for installation, training, preventative maintenance and trouble-shooting to complement existing GeneXpert testing, roll-out for all partners with other donors.
- S/he will also contribute to the strengthening of working relationships with other stakeholders and building of systems for programme sustainability.
- Support all of the daily office operations, logistics management, monitoring of project Implementation and reporting. GeneXpert instrument installation and training for the use of Cepheid test menus, trouble-shooting and routine maintenance including supportive supervision of Volunteers, Super users and End users providing the basic service package. Provide technical support to sites (remote and onsite) using the GeneXpert MTB/RIF technology;
- Work in conjunction with the Project Coordinator and the in-country KNCV/Cepheid Technical Team to actively seek support for solving major technical problems of GeneXpert instruments and tests identified on the field;
- Work together with the Technical Team to provide weekly and monthly reports for all cases logged for the troubleshooting and maintenance of the GeneXpert instruments in the region;
- Support the development of a GeneXpert maintenance plan and logbooks at all levels;
- Support in the provision of quarterly reports on basic installation, trouble-shooting and maintenance activities;
- Follow up on all logged cases in the region from complaint to resolution including logistics.
- S/He will provides technical and programmatic support especially in the area of onsite support for installation, preventive maintenance and trouble-shooting to complement existing GeneXpert MTB/RIF and other test menu roll-out for all Cepheid HBDC customers, partners with other donors. S/he will also contribute to the strengthening of working relationships with other stakeholders and building of systems for programme sustainability.
Who we are looking for?
- S/He Should have a degree in the Medical Laboratory Sciences – (Master’s degree in Public health, Project management, Health management and related discipline will be an added advantage).
- At least 5 years’ progressive experience in managing complex public Health programs especially in the field of TB, TB/HIV and NTDs and a minimum of 3 years’ experience in TB/HIV and other disease programs..
- Should also have good working knowledge of Public Health space at both national and subnational level.
Technical and Behavioral Competencies:
- Good working knowledge of current national TB/HIV and other disease programs guidelines;
- Ability to work with direction and minimal supervision;
- Excellent Customer relationship;
- Working knowledge of Program management especially USAID and WHO -funded Projects;
- Basic logistic and operational understanding of the supply chain;
- Good written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to organize training programs on GeneXpert MTB/RIF and additional test menus
- Good computer skills;
- Ability to multitask, with knowledge of various programme areas;
- Ability to work well on a team.
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A fixed-term contract for 12 months, with the intention to extend the contract depending on funding and performance.
- You will work in an informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated.
- Candidates should submit their CV, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references.
- Please note that we only consider applications that are received through the website of KNCV.