International Alert is one of the world's leading peacebuilding organisations, with over 30 years of experience supporting communities, advising governments, organisations and companies on how to build peace. Alert works with people in conflict-affected and threatened areas to make a positive difference for peace; to improve the substance and implementation of international policies relevant to peacebuilding; and to strengthen the peacebuilding sector.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Project Officer
Location: Ngala LGA Borno
Reports to: The Project Manager
- The Project Officer will support field implementation and monitoring of a CSSF-funded project on Public Safety and Security.
- The project has an overall goal to improve the effectiveness of security responses and protection of civilians through enhanced trust and collaboration between civilians and security forces in Borno.
- The Project Officer will support the implementation of activities at project sites in collaboration with stakeholders and according to the project workplan.
- S/he will collect quantitative and qualitative data and produce reports on activities.
- Work with the Project Manager and implementing partner to develop and update monthly, quarterly and annual workplans
- Ensure financial and logistical preparation of activities in line with workplan and project strategy
- Develop and maintain relationships with key project stakeholders at activity sites, including implementing partner staff
- Lead and facilitate activities, as required
- Monitor the conflict context in activity sites and provide timely feedback to project manager
- Liaise and coordinate with other NGOs operating in activity sites
- Plan activity expenditure and request funds in a timely and accurate manner
- Oversee expenditure during activities (including implementing partner activities) and ensure this is in line with project outcomes, and Alert and donor policies
- Ensure compliant financial documentation is collected during activities
Reporting, monitoring and evaluation:
- Contribute to developing and implementing project monitoring and evaluation plan
- Collect quantitative and qualitative information during activities in line with M&E plan
- Support baseline, mid-term and final evaluations, including participating in data collection
- Prepare activity reports and contribute to donor reports
- Collect case study information and follow-up with project participants
- Coordination with other Alert staff and stakeholders in the region
- Participate actively in the management processes of the team, including team meetings, sharing of information, context analysis, and strategy development
- Participate in relevant state level strategic forums, as delegated by State Manager
- Any other reasonable activities as determined by the line manager
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in relevant field or 2 years of equivalent experience
- At least 4 years of work experience in community engagement or similar field. Experience with an international NGO would be an asset
- Demonstrated experience working in the field of women, peace and security
- Experience in preventing or countering violent extremism strongly desirable
- Excellent coordination and communication skills
- Good writing skills and good knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to work under pressure and in a high-risk security environment
- Willingness to travel regularly to rural locations
- English (oral and written), Kanuri, Shuwa and Hausa fluency.
- Knowledge of any other languages prevalent in Ngala would be an advantage.
- Regular travel to Maiduguri and Abuja.
Application Closing Time
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send in a CV of maximum 3 pages and a Cover Letter not exceeding 2 pages in Word or PDF format as one document to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the "Job Title and Location" as the subject of the email
- Include your salary requirements. Applications that do not follow the above requirements will not be considered.
- Gwoza indigenes and female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not heard from us within three weeks of the closing date, you can assume your application has been unsuccessful. Please do not send follow-up emails or calls.
- International Alert is an equal opportunities employer. All applicants will be judged strictly on the basis of merit.
Application Deadline: 30 April, 2020