Creative Associates International provides outstanding, on-the-ground development services and forges partnerships to deliver sustainable solutions to global challenges. Its experts focus on building inclusive educational systems, transitioning communities from conflict to peace, developing sustainable economic growth, engaging youth, promoting transparent elections and more. Creative is recognized for its ability to quickly adapt and excel in conflict and post-conflict environments.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources Manager
Job ID: 2021-1817
Location: Maiduguri, Borno or Yola, Adamawa State.
Category: Human Resources
- The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has contracted Creative Associates International to implement the Northeast ConNEction activity to strengthen the resilience of communities vulnerable to violent extremist infiltration and conflict. By targeting communities not yet under the control of violent extremist organizations (VEOs), this activity will seize the opportunity to mitigate the grievances that make communities vulnerable to violent extremism, while building social cohesion within and across communities in northeast Nigeria. In addition to helping northeastern Nigerians create a stronger foundation against the violent extremist and conflict threats, the activity is designed to develop local capacity to respond to emerging threats.
- In order to enable flexible and adaptive management of the activity in a complex environment, the activity includes a focused effort on research and analysis of the threats and coordination around programmatic opportunities and responses.
- The HR Manager will manage, develop and administer policies and programs covering several of the following: recruitment, wage and salary administration, training, employee relations, and benefits. She will prepare recommendations to top management concerning human resource policies and practices, and will work closely with line and staff management to develop human resource plans and strategies to meet organizational requirements.
- In this role, she will ensure that program policies and practices comply with applicable laws and regulations. Additionally, she is responsible for employment, training, motivation, and evaluation of assigned employees.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and implement policies regarding human resources activities, such as recruitment, compensation, benefits, training, employee relations, and performance management.
- Process, verify, and maintain documentation relating to personnel activities, such as recruitment, training, grievances, performance evaluations, and classifications.
- Interpret and provide guidance and instruction to subordinates/peers on HR processes, policies, workflow and work unit priorities.
- Develop professional HR substantive expertise through continuous learning activities such as attending academic courses, seminars, workshops, reading professional research journals or conducting research to support program development.
- Study and analyze positions and prepare position descriptions based on job responsibility questionnaires and personal interviews; evaluate positions using established evaluation systems, determine grades and prepare records as to the validity of the evaluations.
- Record and track data from position descriptions and job salary evaluations to ensure consistency and accountability.
- Identify staff vacancies and recruit, interview, conduct candidate reference and work history authentication along with background checks and select applicants.
- Provide employees with information about policies, job duties, working conditions, wages and opportunities for promotion and employee benefits.
- Administer compensation, benefits and performance management systems and safety and recreation programs.
- Advise managers on organizational policy matters such as equal employment opportunity and sexual harassment, and recommended needed changes.
- Plan and conduct new employee orientation to foster positive attitude toward organizational objectives, which includes planning and managing the onboarding process and training for all new hires. Analyze training needs to design employee development, language training and health and safety programs.
- Serve as a link between management and employees by handling questions, interpreting and administering contracts, and helping to resolve work-related problems.
- Conduct exit interviews to identify reasons for employee termination.
- When needed, contract with vendors to provide employee services such as background verification, health and life insurance, and transportation.
- Assist supervisors and staff with understanding and using the Performance Evaluation System.
- Mediate conflict, grievances, and harassment cases.
- Make decisions on HR issues in consultation with the DCOP.
- Manage all HCN staff procedures on Health Insurance and National Housing Funds and Life Assurance in compliance with the Nigeria Labor Law.
- University degree in Human Resources, Management, Business Administration, or related field is required
- At least six (6) years of general experience with at least four (4) years of HR experience in a high volume, complex environment is required.
- Experience working on development funded programs will be added advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to solve challenging and complicated administrative issues.
- Experience with budgeting and cost analysis.
- Strong organization and communication skills.
- Experience in sourcing, recruiting, and interviewing professional and management candidates is required.
- Certification in human resources (PHR, SPHR, GPHR) is considered a plus.
- Experience in developing and implementing programs across complex organizations with software and systems related to sourcing and management of candidates is required
- Good communication and interpersonal skills is required.
- Considerable knowledge of employment law is a plus.
- Proficiency at using Microsoft office software: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. is required.
- Excellent record keeping and documentation skills.
- Experience of working in a conflict environment preferred.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Fluency in one or more of the local state languages in the Northeastern part of Nigeria.
- Must be willing and able to work in Maiduguri or Yola, Nigeria.
- Must have existing work authorization for Nigeria.
Application Closing Date
Note: The exact location of this position is to be confirmed but may be based in Maiduguri or Yola, Nigeria. Candidates must be willing and able to live in either location.