The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of IT and Data Management
Ref. No: DDG-CS/HIT/DM/10/20
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
- The Head of IT and Data Management will be responsible for coordinating, planning, and leading IT and Data Management in IITA. The candidate will have to lead and coordinate the Business Information Systems, Infrastructure and Telecoms, and Data Management teams, all led by experienced managers.
- (S)he is also expected to represent IITA on ‘One CGIAR’ IT platforms and work in close collaboration with CGIAR IT colleagues to implement shared IT services to the benefit of IITA, our research, and services.
- We are thus looking for a highly technical skilled, experienced, flexible, and motivated leader, a people person with excellent interpersonal skills, who can bring our IT and Data Management to international standards, and to provide excellent services for our users.
- The Head of IT and Data Management reports to the Deputy Director General for Corporate Services.
The Head of IT and Data Management will:
- Lead and coordinate the overall information technology (IT) infrastructure of IITA.
- On the software: provide guidance, fine-tuning, integration, stabilizing of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERPs) and other applications.
- On the hardware infrastructure: lead final stages of disaster recovery, standardization of regional hubs and stations as well as provide general strategic oversight.
- On Data Management: lead institutionalization of this function and bring this up/maintain to CGIAR standards. This includes working with research projects, knowledge management/communication teams, and other institutional leaders on sustaining the Big Data initiatives of CGIAR.
- Liaise as relevant with technology service providers.
- Take part in the CGIAR ICT Community of Practice to leverage collaborative IT services and infrastructure across the System and introduce shared IT services to IITA.
- Act as the principal administrator and ensure the maintenance of the Organization’s information technology systems, including: ERPs; custom applications; software installations; license management; server set up and management; database administration; network, printers, audio/video conferencing and mobile phone support; deployment of equipment; management of inventories; disaster recovery; general computer support and periodic security vulnerability assessments.
- Manage and lead the IT and Data management teams, including management of staff, communicating job expectations, and appraising staff performance, to provide a conducive work environment, ensuring efficient and proactive support across the Institute.
- Coordinate user training/capacity building on business applications and use of systems for both IT staff and users across the institute.
- Develop and update IT policies, processes and procedures, and ensure they are properly documented. Special attention should be given to Cyber Security safety guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Undertake such other job-related duties as may be requested by the Supervisor.
- The candidate should have a minimum of MSc or equivalent degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field.
- Relevant work experience of at least 10 years, in an international, multicultural organization or company.
- Expertise in at least two of the three team areas.
- Excellent working knowledge of computer systems, security, network and systems administration, databases and data storage systems, data management, and phone systems.
- Strong critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Firm grasp on IT infrastructure and operations best practices.
- Understanding and knowledge of risk culture in IT systems and cyber security.
- Strong technical skills, preferably on the software side, and knowledge of Oracle (financials, supply chain, project management and M&E) and/or Dynamics (payroll and HR) ERPs will be an advantage.
- Good working experience of agricultural ontology, knowledge of application development lifecycle, and experience in open access and open data along with FAIR data concept, would be an advantage.
- Gender, Diversity and Inclusion awareness and strong cultural awareness.
- Strong problem solving and project management skills.
- Fluency in English; working knowledge of French would be an advantage.
The contract will be for an initial period of three years. IITA offers an internationally competitive remuneration package paid in US Dollars.
Application Closing Date
The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format. Covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work). The application should be addressed to the Head, Human Resources Service.
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce
While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.