Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in more than 100 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. Catholic Relief Services began working in Nigeria in the 1960s and was active during the 1967 civil war in the area of emergency response. After the war, the Nigerian government asked CRS and other international development agencies to leave the country. Thirty years later, with the return of democracy after years of military rule, CRS returned to Nigeria in 2000 at the invitation of the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria. In partnership with the Catholic Church, other faith-based and community-based organizations, the private sector, local and international NGOs, and government institutions, CRS implements a range of complex programs with support from a variety of donors and private funds. CRS operations in Nigeria are undertaken through local organizations in agriculture, emergency response, orphans and vulnerable children, health, HIV, governance and peace building. CRS has worked in 34 of the country's 36 states, demonstrating the agency’s extensive grassroots networks and tremendous capacity to reach the rural poor.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: GiZ Poultry Project Hatchery Farmer
Locations: (MMC & Jere) Borno & (Mubi & Maiha) Adamawa
- With donor support from the European Union (EU) and German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) through Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Catholic Relief Services (CRS/Nigeria), a prime recipient is implementing the Borno and Adamawa Women Poultry Project. The 18 months Activity was awarded by GIZ Nigeria to CRS and its partner on 1st March 2020 as part of GIZ’s contribution to the support of Internally Displaced Persons and the Resilience of Host Communities in North and North-East Nigeria seeks to support vulnerable populations to contribute to creation of livestock employment opportunities in Borno and Adamawa states to improve participants’ living conditions, and increase their income by producing and selling poultry and poultry products.
- The Activity will work with a coalition of partners to provide agricultural extension and health services (including treatment and vaccination), to serve vulnerable populations, strengthen the institutions that form the market system and the networks that serve smallholder poultry producers who have been disenfranchised by conflict, and facilitate the engagement of vulnerable women in poultry agribusiness activities.
- The project seeks to engage the services of Hatchery farmers who will overall generally running of hatchery activities in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC) and Jere LGAs of Borno and Mubi North and Maiha LGs of Adamawa state.
Agricultural extension support including vaccination services and hands-on training to hatcheries:
- Support the management and establishment of hatchery facility on day to day.
- Keeping records of sales and marketing of hatchery services within the community.
- Remove eggs from in incubator racks and place them on the candling machine.
- Manually place eggs in Hatcher trays after they have been candled.
- Transport Hatcher rack into Hatcher.
- Wash and disinfect hatchers and hatch rooms.
- Responsible for transfer of selected baskets of eggs as a schedule from storage room.
- Manually pick up egg’s basket and place eggs in racks of incubator carts. The carts are then rolled inside the incubators.
- The empty egg carts and baskets are then cleaned and disinfected.
- Ensure the Hatchers and the baskets in them are dry before candling on every candling day and
- Ensure the Hatchers maintain their targeted temperature and humidity conditions before and after every candling process.
- Monitoring the temperature and humidity inside cold room and egg sorting room and record them very well.
- To ensure proper sorting of eggs by removing hatchable from unhatchable eggs (i.e. removal of crack, misshape, extra-large eggs etc.
- Ensure adequate fumigation of hatchable eggs after sorting.
- Ensure proper setting of eggs on the trolleys and into setter, keeping of setting eggs trolley report every setting day
- Living in targeted community as a permanent resident—this is critical and must be confirmed independently; beware of candidates who claim they have “just moved back” and might be commuters
- Well-known and respected by community members and leaders in the assigned area
- Reputation for integrity
- No criminal record or instances of disreputable behavior
Qualifications & Skills
- Possess entrepreneurial spirit and marketing skills
- Strategic thinking, planning, reporting and communication skills
- Minimum of Diploma in Animal Production or its equivalent
- Previous experience in Parent Stock Hatchery and management, with proven interest on commercial hatchery venture
- Must have practical poultry experience and vaccination services
- Fluent in English and Hausa; other local language is an added advantage
- Interpersonal skills- able to work with diverse stakeholders and partners effectively
- Precision and exactitude
- Basic computer literacy and good capacity to work in a team.
Method of Application
Qualified and interested candidates are to submit an application containing an expression of interest and a detailed resume as a single attachment on MS word document to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the job title “GiZ Poultry Project Hatchery Farmers” as the subject.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Equal Employer Opportunity:
- “CRS is an equal - opportunity employer, does not discriminate based on race, color, religion and we are committed to gender sensitive programming and management’ etc.
- By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Statement of Commitment to Protection:
- ‘’CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation’’
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: 13 December, 2020