Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on agriculture, health and emergency programming.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant - System Strengthening Case Study - Call for Expression of Interest
Location: Adamawa, Borno,
Employment Type: Contract
Terms of Reference (TOR)
- The Effectiveness of Systems Strengthening Approach in Working with Faith Based Organizations to Respond to Emergencies in The Northeast of Nigeria: Lessons from Caritas Nigeria Project.
- The Caritas Germany project, in the spirit of solidarity and through long-term accompaniment, capacity-building, and institutional strengthening, is supporting the overall goal of assisting conflict-affected populations in Nigeria and Chad to improve their quality of life.
- The project has two strategic objectives: crisis affected households meet the priority needs of their households (SO1) and CBOs/FBOs have improved capacity to implement quality and timely cash transfer programming, meeting the needs of crisis affected populations (SO2). Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is responsible for achieving SO2 while Catholic Caritas Foundation of Nigeria (CCFN) is responsible for achieving SO1. In implementing SO2, CRS adopts a capacity strengthening approach which focuses on technical assistance and accompaniment for Catholic Caritas Foundation of Nigeria.
- The 3-year project is providing technical capacity building, institutional strengthening and accompaniment to the Catholic Caritas Foundation of Nigeria to strengthen their emergency cash transfer programming capacity to more effectively provide life-saving humanitarian assistance during and after the project.
Purpose / Scope of the Work:
- The Caritas Germany project ends in March 2021; therefore CRS seeks to engage the services of a consultant to carry out a study which documents the below prompts prior to project close out:
- The use and effectiveness of the modified organizational capacity assessment instrument in strengthening the emergency response capacity of Caritas Nigeria and JDPC Maiduguri including a reflection on the capacity challenges faced by both organizations and how CRS worked with them to address these; vis-à-vis a “before” and “after”
- Lessons learned (what worked and what did not) from implementing the program and recommendations for replicating and improving the process
Scope of Work and Expected Activities:
- The consultant is expected to carry out desk review, travels to Yola and Maiduguri, conduct KIIs, photograph, writing and editing to deliver the outputs of the work.
- To document learning on the application of the Modified Organizational Capacity Assessment Instrument (MOCA) for strengthening the emergency response capacity of Caritas Nigeria and JDPC Maiduguri
- Document the technical and organizational response capacity challenges facing Caritas Nigeria and JDPC Maiduguri and how CRS worked with the partners to address the challenges
- Document clear recommendations to replicate and improve the process
Duration of Work and Logistics:
- The field work/research for this consultancy will be 14 days while reporting and documentation will be for 6 days. The total length of the work from the day of commencement to submission of report shall be 20 working days, after which CRS will review and provide feedback for modifications.
- CRS will take care of the consultant’s field travel logistics as required, including flight tickets, land transportation, hotel accommodation and an allowance for meals and incidentals according to established CRS per diem rates.
Deliverables and Timeframe:
- Process report
- Learning document on the application of the Modified Organizational Capacity Assessment Instrument (MOCA) for strengthening the emergency response capacity of Caritas Nigeria and JDPC Maiduguri
- Learning document on the technical and organizational response capacity challenges facing Caritas Nigeria and JDPC Maiduguri and how CRS worked with the partners to address the challenges
- Learning document on how Caritas Nigeria and JDPC have applied improved capacity in cash transfer programming to provide quality services to crisis affected populations in selected communities in Borno and Adamawa States.
- Lessons learned and key recommendations
This consultancy is anticipated to be completed on or before January 30th, 2021.
Required Expertise and Qualifications
- The preferred candidate should possess at least a Master’s degrees in Social Sciences, Humanities, Conflict or Development Studies.
- S/he should have a good background in research methodology or operational research. Experience in similar areas such as systems strengthening, emergency response and capacity building will be an added advantage.
- S/he should have experience and willingness to work in Northeast of Nigeria and to be deployed immediately for the work.
Method of Application
Qualified and Interested candidates should send their Expression of Interest (EOI) along with a detailed resume as one document in Ms Word format indicating consultancy being applied for as the subject of the application (e.g. Consultancy for System strengthening case study) to: email@example.com The EOI should include but not limited to the following: Expected daily rate, personal/company professional profile, skills, competencies and suitability for the assignment as well as readiness for immediate short-term consultancy plus a copy of such previous work.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Equal Employer Opportunity
- “CRS is an equal - opportunity employer, does not discriminate based on race, color, religion and we are committed to gender-sensitive programming and management’. etc. Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”
- By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Statement of Commitment to Protection:
- ‘’CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation’’
Application Deadline: 14 December, 2020