Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) Center is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant - Graphic Designer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
Background / Context
- CIVIC, together with community members in the northeast will conduct an advocacy campaign to convince Government of Nigeria stakeholders to adopt better strategies for the protection of civilians. As part of this effort, CIVIC will leverage partnerships with media outlets as well as community protection committees to develop a multimedia campaign to distribute POC messages, including supporting creative community-led efforts to share best practices on self-protection.
- CIVIC will also consider developing innovative materials including a local language comic series centered on the life of a young boy and a young girl as they live through the conflict to raise awareness among young adults. On how to better self-protect and to help champion POC in their respective areas.
Purpose of the Consultancy / Terms of Reference:
- To produce a graphic comic series which tells the story of the impact of the NE conflict and protection issues faced by adolescents caught in the ongoing insurgency in Borno state Nigeria.
CIVIC Nigeria is seeking the services of a professional graphic designer with experience in comic/graphic novel design. The graphic designer will work collaboratively with a storyteller to deliver below listed outputs in accordance with the below outlined timeframe and specifications. Specifically, the consultant will carry out the following tasks:
- Conceptualizing visuals based on requirements.
- Creating images and layouts by hand or using design software
- Study design briefs and determine requirements
- Schedule projects and define budget constraints
- Conceptualize visuals based on requirements
- Prepare rough drafts and present ideas
- Develop illustrations, logos and other designs using software or by hand
- Use the appropriate colors and layouts for each graphic
- Amend designs after feedback
- Ensure final graphics and layouts are visually appealing and on-brand
- Ensure reflection of the context in Northeast Nigeria.
- Ensure appropriateness of graphics from political, cultural, and religious contexts.
- Will travel to project locations to interact and develop visualized images.
- 3D amination of the comic.
Experience & Qualifications
- Five years progressive experience as a graphics designer
- Experience working in conflict zones.
- Previous experience of working with UN or other national or international agencies.
- Availability and willingness to travel to the North-East
- Ability to work in close coordination with other team members.
- At least a high school certificate but possession of a degree or diploma or training in Fine Arts or related field will be an added advantage.
- Familiarity with design software and technologies (such as InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Photoshop)
- A keen eye for aesthetics and details
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work methodically and meet deadlines.
- Payment will be made in three tranches.
- 15% shall be when the plan and schedule is received and approved.
- 20% on submission of first draft.
- The balance of 65% upon completion of final outputs.
Please note that CIVIC will deduct and remit to the Federal Inland Revenue (FIR) a 5% withholding for individual consultant and 10%Tax for a Limited Liability Company from the total consultancy fees in accordance with the Nigerian Tax Law.
The expected outputs will be:
- Storyboard or outlay of comic graphic.
- Reviewed sketches.
- Final copy of comic series
- This consultancy is expected to be accomplished within a time frame of 60 working days.
How to Apply
Interested consultants should send their Expression of Interest (EOI) along with a detailed Resume as attached MS word documents and their combined Technical & Financial Proposals to: firstname.lastname@example.org The title must be expressly stated as the subject of the email quoting reference "GD1192021" Any application without quoting the reference code will be disqualified.
Note: Only applicants who send in the required format will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: 29 January, 2021