King's College Hospital - We are one of London's leading hospitals with a world-class reputation, but our roots lie in the heart of our community. Every day we care for patients from some of the most deprived communities in the capital and from some of the wealthiest. Our globally renowned specialties – including liver, diabetes, and sickle cell – are largely driven by the health problems of our ethnically diverse local community.
King's is also one of the UK’s largest teaching hospitals. We train 400 doctors, 275 nurses, and 750 dentists each year, in partnership with King’s College London. We have a reputation to maintain, so we are looking to recruit great people. Whether you work in medicine, nursing, administration, scientific services, or patient support, we want you to keep up our high standards and push them even higher.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Chief Operating Officer - The AMCE
Job Reference ID: 213-CORP-2472
Contract: Permanent - Secondment / Fixed Term would be considered
Hours: Full time - 37.5 hours per week
Main Area: Director
Grade: Executives / VSM
Working for our Organisation
The African Medical Centre of Excellence will be implemented in four phases over a six-year period, starting with a 170-bed specialist hospital before expanding to a 500-bed facility. The centre will have the potential to provide services to over 200,000 patients in Nigeria and a further 150,000 patients from neighbouring West African countries within its first five years of operation.
The clinical areas the centre will specialise in are: Cardiology, Haematology and Oncology. This will include specialist diagnostic services for genomics and oncology and state of the art imaging and treatment capabilities. A range of businesses providing relevant health support will support this facility and provide commercial services to its patients and staff.
The AMCE will be located in Abuja, Nigeria which has the highest GDP in Africa, estimated at USD 448 Billion (World Bank, 2019), and a leading oil producer in Africa. Nigeria is also multi-ethnic and culturally diverse with a population of about 200.9 million people spread across a federation of 36 autonomous states and the Federal Capital Territory. Nigeria is also blessed with many natural landmarks and wildlife reserves which have waterfalls, dense rainforest, savanna and rare primate habitats including Protected areas such Cross River National Park and Yankari National Park and one of the most recognisable sites in Abuja, Zuma Rock.
- Are you looking for a new, exciting and challenging opportunity to expand your portfolio of expertise? We would like to invite an experienced Chief Operating Officer to lead our ground breaking healthcare facility in Nigeria, West Africa!
- African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank) has announced the commencement of its African Medical Centre of Excellence (AMCE) project in Abuja, Nigeria. It will provide excellent healthcare to both low and high-income patient groups across the continent. The AMCE in Partnership with King's College Hospital London will be located in Abuja, which is a hub for travel in Nigeria and West Africa, enabling it to attract patients across the region.
- The Chief Operating Officer will provide visible operational leadership of the AMCE both internally and externally, pursuing the ambitious strategy to deliver the very best in healthcare to the local communities and beyond. Ensuring that the organisation is best placed to deliver the highest quality of care, meeting the expectations of patients, carers, commissioners and the wider system.
Main Duties of the Job
- The Chief Operating Officer will lead the Centre’s operational delivery, ensuring the delivery of high quality, cost effective services that are innovative and responsive to the needs of patients.
- As an Executive Director, the Chief Operating Officer will be a full member of the AMCE’s Executive Management Team and will share corporate responsibility for the decisions of the Board.
- The Chief Operating Officer will lead the AMCE’s operational functions, ensuring the delivery of high quality, cost effective services that are innovative and responsive to the needs of patients.
- The Chief Operating Officer is responsible for the delivery of accessible and effective personalised services that meet high quality standards for our service users and patients.
- Additionally, the Chief Operating Officer will work with others to ensure that performance is optimised and services are engaged in continuous quality improvement, innovation and transformation.
- The post holder will inspire, develop and empower our dedicated operational and clinical leaders, promoting the importance of robust governance and multi-professional working.
- To have Executive Director responsibilities for all aspects of service delivery within the AMCE.
- To ensure that services are safe, responsive, cost effective and are delivered in a way which is compliant with Joint Commission International Accreditation (JCIA) within 12-18 months of operations, and also meets the specifications of clients and the Federal Ministry of Health (FMH).
- To provide visible and empowering leadership throughout the AMCE.
- The Chief Operating Officer will be responsible for robust governance. This will include agreeing and setting performance targets and reviewing and improving productivity; strategy, planning and reporting to achieve effective business delivery service.
- Degree, professional qualification or equivalent. Any appropriate related training and personal development to commensurate with a very senior management post.
- The salary on offer will be paid in US Dollars and not Great British Pounds. The salary has only been advertised in Great British Pounds, to follow the guidelines set by the Government Digital Service (GDS). An Oanda spot rate for USD/GBP as of 10th of January 2022 at 15:30, was used for conversion.
- Accommodation Allowance
- Annual Flight allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Health insurance
- Indemnity insurance
- Exclusive Memberships.
Note: Given the nature of the roles being applied for in Nigeria, candidate information will be shared with Afremibank Privacy notice - African Export-Import Bank (afreximbank.com) as part of the recruitment process.