King's College Hospital - We are one of London's leading hospitals with a world-class reputation, but our roots lie in the heart of our community. Every day we care for patients from some of the most deprived communities in the capital and from some of the wealthiest. Our globally renowned specialties – including liver, diabetes, and sickle cell – are largely driven by the health problems of our ethnically diverse local community.
King's is also one of the UK’s largest teaching hospitals. We train 400 doctors, 275 nurses, and 750 dentists each year, in partnership with King’s College London. We have a reputation to maintain, so we are looking to recruit great people. Whether you work in medicine, nursing, administration, scientific services, or patient support, we want you to keep up our high standards and push them even higher.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Nursing Officer - The AMCE, Abuja, Nigeria Executives / VSM
Job ref: 213-CORP-2473
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Main area: Director
Employer type: NHS
Grade: Executives / VSM
Hours: Full time - 37.5 hours per week
Employer: King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Contract: Permanent: Secondment / Fixed Term would be considered
- We would like to invite an exceptional individual to join our staff as Chief Nursing Officer to join our ground breaking healthcare facility in Nigeria, West Africa!
- This is an exciting opportunity to join our Board and to play a major role in the leadership team.
- African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank) has announced the commencement of its African Medical Centre of Excellence (AMCE) project in Abuja, Nigeria. It will provide excellent healthcare to both low and high-income patient groups across the continent.
- The AMCE in Partnership with King's College Hospital London will be located in Abuja, which is a hub for travel in Nigeria and West Africa, enabling it to attract patients across the region.
- You will have a proven track record at a senior level working with the corporate and hospital clinical teams to develop and implement the group wide strategic objectives to the highest standards and to improve the care and experience of patients, carers and the wider healthcare system.
Main Duties of the Job
The Ideal Candidate:
- Experienced as Chief Nurse or Senior Director of Clinical Services, with experience of working with a strategic and commercial focus in a healthcare environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of patient safety systems and processes including clinical risk, governance and safeguarding of vulnerable people.
- Hands on approach to management with a clear passion to deliver the best patient experience.
- Demonstrable experience of leading and effectively managing change in large complex environments.
- Contributes to and provides an invaluable contribution to the Board's corporate strategy and agenda.
Working for our Organisation
- The African Medical Centre of Excellence will be implemented in four phases over a six-year period, starting with a 170-bed specialist hospital before expanding to a 500-bed facility. The centre will have the potential to provide services to over 200,000 patients in Nigeria and a further 150,000 patients from neighbouring West African countries within its first five years of operation.
- The clinical areas the centre will specialise in are: Cardiology, Haematology and Oncology. This will include specialist diagnostic services for genomics and oncology and state of the art imaging and treatment capabilities. A range of businesses providing relevant health support will support this facility and provide commercial services to its patients and staff.
- The AMCE will be located in Abuja, Nigeria which has the highest GDP in Africa, estimated at USD 448 Billion (World Bank, 2019), and a leading oil producer in Africa. Nigeria is also multi-ethnic and culturally diverse with a population of about 200.9 million people spread across a federation of 36 autonomous states and the Federal Capital Territory. Nigeria is also blessed with many natural landmarks and wildlife reserves which have waterfalls, dense rainforest, savanna and rare primate habitats including Protected areas such Cross River National Park and Yankari National Park and one of the most recognisable sites in Abuja, Zuma Rock
- As an Executive Director, the Chief Nursing Officer will be a full member of the AMCE’s Executive Management Team and will share corporate responsibility for the decisions of the Board.
- You will play a key role in the establishment of the AMCE through the set-up and planning phases (design, build, planning) through ramp-up and into the full operational phase and beyond.
- The Chief Nursing Officer is accountable and responsible for nursing practice in the AMCE and will provide advice to the Chief Executive and Company Board on all nursing issues and lead clinical collaboration within the organisation and with partner providers such as King’s College Hospital London and The Christie Hospital.
- The Chief Nursing Officer has a key role in developing nursing leadership through the management model which will deliver a robust Clinical Services Strategy that supports effective and efficient models of service delivery and high-quality safe patient care.
- They will work alongside the Chief Medical Officer to provide strong joint clinical leadership that is visible to nursing and clinical colleagues as well as commissioners, insurance providers and all partners.
- The Chief Nursing Officer will contribute to the development and delivery of the wider clinical care systems and organisational agenda, and will work with the Chief Operating Officer to ensure effective service delivery.
- The Chief Nursing Officer will work with the Chief Medical Officer to provide a nursing viewpoint to elements of Patient Safety and patient experience, including all aspects of clinical governance.
- The Chief Nursing Officer will also work in conjunction with the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Medical Officer to manage and deliver large complex plans such as Quality Assurance and Workforce planning.
- The Chief Nursing Officer, with their clinical colleagues and the Head of Human Resources, will support the development and enhanced clinical practice of the registered professional groups in the AMCE.
- They will be innovative in maximising clinical productivity and safety to be able to scan the horizon for opportunities which will benefit clinical delivery of services. Using networks and strong partnerships to identify such opportunities as well as influence the delivery of urgent care in Abuja, Nigeria and West Africa.
- The Chief Nursing Officer will be expected to be visible within the clinical environment.
In summary, the Chief Nursing Officer will:
- Provide dynamic managerial and clinical leadership to the nursing and AHP professions in the AMCE and play a major role in building high calibre, high performing multidisciplinary clinical teams.
- Be accountable for leading Safeguarding and Infection Control processes, procedures and implementation across the AMCE.
- Be accountable for leading on continuous improvement in quality, patient safety and patient experience across the AMCE.
- Be lead in Equality Diversity and Inclusion across the Nursing and AHP staff groups, insuring the AMCE meets national and organisational requirements.
- Be accountable for ensuring that Education and Training programmes and opportunities are available and delivered within the AMCE across Nursing and AHP staff groups.
- Be accountable for compliance and governance for registration of staffing groups - Nursing and AHPs.
- Registered Nurse with current registration
- Recognised management / leadership development
- Degree in Clinical subject or equivalent experience
- Educated to Master’s Degree or equivalent experience and learning
- Evidence of continuing professional and personal development at senior management level.
- The salary on offer will be paid in US Dollars and not Great British Pounds. The salary has only been advertised in Great British Pounds, to follow the guidelines set by the Government Digital Service (GDS). An Oanda spot rate for USD / GBP as of 10th of January 2022 at 15:30, was used for conversion.
- Accommodation Allowance
- Annual Flight allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Health insurance
- Indemnity insurance
- Exclusive Memberships.
Note: Given the nature of the roles being applied for in Nigeria, candidate information will be shared with Afremibank Privacy notice - African Export-Import Bank (afreximbank.com) as part of the recruitment process.