The American University of Nigeria (AUN) was established in 2004 as Africa’s first Development University, its mission is to promote service learning and to educate leaders who will be prepared to tackle the development issues of Nigeria and Africa. The university offers an American-style education modeled after the curriculum of American universities, using the latest in internet technology and e-learning resources.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Associate Professor and Professor (IT & Computing)
Location: Yola, Adamawa
School: IT & Computing (SITC)
Reports to: Chair Computer Science, Information Systems & Software Engineering
Summary of the Position
- This position will teach and carry out research at graduate and undergraduate level in Computer Science, Software Engineering and Information Systems. In particular, we seek candidates who have demonstrable skills in research supervision at the doctoral level with evidence of research publication in leading Journals and Conferences in the domains of profession. A strong commitment to excellence in teaching, research, community service, mentoring and collegiality is expected.
Teaching & Research Emphasis
- Candidates with teaching and research emphasis in a combination of the following interest areas are encouraged to apply:
- Computer Architecture, Cloud and Ubiquitous Computing, Algorithms and data Structures, Design Science, Digital Systems Design, Knowledge Based Systems, Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, Blockchain Technologies, FINTEECH, Computer Security, Information and Cyber Security, Software Engineering, Software Requirement and Analysis, Human Computer Interactions, Software Design Methods, Agile Computing and Development, Web-based Technologies and Design, Experimental Design, Research Methods, Web programming, Programming Languages, Statistical Techniques (Multivariate, Probabilities and Statistical Theories), Systems Analysis and Design, Theory of Computation, Information Systems Theories, Theoretical Foundations of Information Systems, Management Information Systems, Operations Research, Database Management, Quantitative and Qualitative Research Techniques, Knowledge Management and Electronic Systems, Ubiquitous Computing, Cyber Security, Data Science, Data Analytics, Mobile Systems Application Evaluation, Theory Development & Philosophy of Science, Social and Enterprise Informatics, Data Mining and data Warehousing, Data Analytics and Business Intelligence, Network Structures and Sustainability, E-Health, M-Health, E-Learning, Recommender Systems and Sentiment Analysis, Peace and Conflict Resolution using Information Systems, Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Mobile Systems Evaluation, Digital Platforms, Multimedia and Social informatics, Behavioral Informatics. Unique and evolving specialization that provides cutting edge value-addition to our proposed and existing interests are also welcomed.
Detailed Listing of Responsibilities
- Supervise MS and doctoral students research with attendant output that results in students progression as well as publications in leading Journals and conferences
- Initiate and conduct innovative research leading to publications in top-tier refereed journals and award of external research grants and funding.
- Carry out development-focused research that directly impact on the University and the host community.
- Teach assigned courses as specified in the schedule and course content and in line with areas of expertise and demonstrable knowledge.
- Evaluate and select texts and instructional materials; prepare course materials and lesson plans
- Provide students an approved syllabus that includes course objectives and learning outcomes, teaching methodology, attendance policies in line with those of the School, texts and readings, assignments and deliverables, timelines and evaluation criteria
- Use the established learning management system to support student learning and course administration online enabling students access to course syllabi, learning items and supplementary online resources as well as promoting learning through continuous interactions amongst students and with faculty and continuous assessment on learning progress.
- Deliver course content using a variety of teaching styles and provide interesting and engaging assignments that demonstrate the real-world applications of concepts covered
- Observe and evaluate student performance in meeting course objectives and learning outcomes through assignments, projects, discussions or examinations; provide feedback in a timely manner on student progress
- Be available for student consultation through office hours or scheduled appointments or by phone or email
- Maintain records of enrolment and attendance, assessments and grades, submit class rosters and grade sheets by established deadlines
- Encourage students to submit course evaluations, review course evaluations when available and use feedback to improve course delivery
- Revise and update course content as needed.
- Actively contribute to course syllabus and curriculum upgrades working with program chair, dean and school-wide curriculum committee.
- Engage in research collaborations both locally and internationally;
- Participate in professional services to the academic community and support activities that promote and foster links with the profession in the industry and community.
- Contribute to departmental strategic areas and activities.
- Undertake departmental administrative duties; and
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Head of Department or his delegates.
- Submit an annual performance review
- A commitment to continually updating skillsets and knowledge in the fast-paced IT & Computing area.
- Industry experience is a plus for Computer Science faculty and a Must for Software Engineering faculty
Requirements for the Position
- Hold a PhD degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information systems, Information Technology, Management Information Systems, Information Technology Management or a closely related field
- Have a proven record of substantial academic publications in reputable research outlets such as journals and leading international conferences in the domain.
- Have a record of thesis/dissertation supervision at the Masters and Doctoral level with evidence of completion and successful supervision of students.
- Prior teaching experience in a graduate program and corporate training is expected
- Registration with national and international professional bodies in the core domain is a must
- Evidence of awards and recognitions, patents and copyrighted works is an advantage.
- Ability and experience teaching across disciplines (e.g. Computer science, software engineering, Information systems.) is a plus.
- Experience of American educational system is aplus.
- Experience in consulting, project design, execution and monitoring is required
Other requirements and abilities for the position:
- Current knowledge of the relevant discipline
- Commitment to excellence in teaching and mentoring students
- Ability to respond to the needs of learners from a variety of educational backgrounds in a multicultural environment
- Ability to deliver course outcomes and content through a variety of teaching/learning styles
- Ability to use technology effectively in teaching
- Respect for students and a genuine interest in their learning
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Good organizational skills and timeliness in responding to student inquiries
- Ability to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships with students and colleagues
- Operate computers and other office equipment and technology
- Proven experience and success in teaching in a variety of delivery formats, including face-to-face, online, and blended technologies is preferred
- The position demands specialization in the discipline applied for and evidence of academic leadership/administrative leadership such as HOD, Dean, Director, Co-ordinator of Gradiuate programme and experience in supporting continuous progressive academic mentoring and research development of graduate students and young faculties.
- A substantial amount of research publications in peer-refereed globally recognized highly indexed journals and conferences are required. A minimum of 8-10 years of post PhD qualification, full time relevant teaching and research experience is required for professorial cadre appointment. The University will normally offer a temporary appointment and process the candidates dossier for external evaluation before a formal offer is made.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org and copy the Provost Office at email@example.com using the “Job Title” as subject of the email.
Application Deadline: 01 February, 2021